IRC volunteers help us with our events and programs, without them we would be unable to do what we do. We appreciate the work of all of our past, present, and future volunteers and look forward to working with you soon.
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
To express interest in one of the volunteer opportunities below, fill out this form or email Daniel Fitzpatrick, Membership & Engagement Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org), and we’ll be in touch with more information.
Represent IRC at Community Events: The IRC will have a presence at a number of public events such the Wyandotte County Ethnic Festival & the Ethnic Enrichment Festival at Swope Park. Volunteers are needed to represent the organization at our booth during festival hours!
Event Photographer: Professional and amateur photographers are needed to take an array of high-quality photos at IRC events. This opportunity can be one-time or ongoing.
General Event Support: Possible roles include registration, general support, event-specific support, and food and beverage service. Opportunities may not be available at all events. If we do not currently require event support, we will e-mail you when opportunities become available.
Join an IRC Committee: The board of directors of the International Relations Council relies on active committees to develop strategies and action plans for the work of the organization. For more information, please click here.
Community Volunteer Opportunities:
JVS Seeks Assistance with processing donations
Jewish Vocational Service (JVS) seeks individuals (ages 18+) or groups to help with the organization & processing of furniture donations at their warehouse on Independence Ave. in Kansas City, MO. Similarly, the organization is always looking for individuals or groups to help pre-furnish homes so that refugees who arrive to Kansas City are not just brought to an space to live in, they are brought to a furnished space and given a sense of “home”. To learn more about how to get involved, or other volunteer opportunities at JVS, contact Abeer Reimann at email@example.com or (816) 629-8890.
KC Public Library Seeks Volunteers
Refugee & Immigrant Services & Empowerment is a division of the Kansas City Public Library’s Outreach Department, dedicated to connecting refugee and immigrant patrons and community members to resources for their success. RISE seeks volunteers for the following programs:
- English in Action: once a week for two hours, meet with a single mentee to help them improve their
- English speaking skills as their Conversation Mentor. This program occurs at library locations of the participants’ choice.
- English for Citizenship Preparation: assist instructor in weekly classes, two hours/week for 12 weeks, one-hour volunteer training session required
- Citizen Interview Mentor Sessions: work one-on-one to prepare patrons for naturalization interview, one to two hours/week, flexible scheduling, two hours of volunteer training required
- English-Language Learning: lead small classes (life skills, basic English speaking/reading/writing), two hours/week, one hour of training required
To learn more, please visit the RISE website or email the team.
Once We Were Refugees Is Looking for Volunteers:
- Once We Were Refugees is a nonprofit organization which teaches sewing classes to refugees. They are looking for help with teaching, classroom support, sewing machine maintenance, donations sorting, and more.
Owen/Cox Dance Group Seeks Volunteers
- Owen/Cox Dance Group often needs volunteers to help with special events and performances throughout the year. Volunteer supporters of Owen/Cox Dance Group enjoy such benefits as attendance at special events and receptions, and complimentary admission to performances.